Mayor Vanderpuije has earned numerous International awards and recognition during his tenure as Mayor of Accra. Notable among them are the following;
- He worked in close collaboration with Dr. Jeffery Sachs of the Earth Institute, Columbia University, New York, USA to declare Accra as a Millennium City on 15th January, 2010.
- As a result of his hard work and immeasurable contribution towards global development dialogue, Mayor Vanderpuije was elected as President of the Global Alliance of Mayors and Leaders from Africa and of African Descent on 21st September, 2014.
- He was awarded the Jose dos Santos Best Africa Mayor Award on 28th April, 2015.
- Through the instrumentality of Mayor Vanderpuije, Accra was selected as one of the 100 Resilient Cities by the Rockefeller Foundation (100RC).
- The City was also selected for the Bloomberg Initiative for Global Road Safety.
- It is said that the Nation that does not honor its heroes is not worth dying for. The Millennium Excellence Foundation recognized the hard work and good stewardship of Mayor Vanderpuije, and awarded him an honorary price in Leadership and Development during the 4th session of the Millennium Excellence award, 2015.
- Mayor Vanderpuije was privileged to be part of selected Mayors of the World invited to the Vatican, Rome by Pope Francis in July, 2015 to deliberate on the new United Nations Seventeen (17) Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) before they were globally adopted by the United Nations (UN) at the 70th Session of the United Nations General Assembly held in New York.